Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Taiwan Years - Introduction

[Originally published on Lai Wongbao]

Okay, well, this blog has been dead for a long time, but I've never forgot about it. I really wanted to do something with it for a long time, but never really had the chance or the mindset. Now, after being sick for a number of days, I've had the time to sit down and think about what I wanted to do. I've written a short retrospective of my time here in Taiwan, because since being here, time has flown by--not in the proverbial fun and frolic of a lad overseas, but rather in a flurry of tempestuous trials that have challenged me and really changed my thinking. I guess in a way I am posting up my memoirs of this time as a continuation of what I hoped to be a travelogue of my first years in Taipei.

First, for those of you who don't know the story. I was hoping to document my return to Taiwan and China in a week after week travelblog. The problem is that the first few posts were more negative rants and I didn't want the blog to take that direction. I always wanted it to be more of a current issues/satire kind of blog. A kind of prose-based Feign-esque commentary: humourous, witty and a bit sarky at times. That has been achieved with the opening of my second blog Taiwan Introspective which I have also started recently. I'm going to keep this one for more personal reflections and the other for more current affairs-based commentary.

The chapters for this blog evolved as I began editing an original post of Wednesday, April 05, 2006. Catharsis set in, and half a day and a box of gumdrops later, I am sitting here posting this... enjoy!

LWB.

On to Chapter 1: "The Great Wait"-->

No comments:

Post a Comment